Wednesday 23 September 2009

Glass From the Third Floor


Arabic Panel



The Long Farewell

This panel is three layers thick and copper foiled. It is painted with brown and black tracing paint, fired and sandblasted. When looked through this layering creates a three dimensional effect. It is a family portrait of my parents the day my dad left for the Himalayas. I was very little at the time and it felt like he was gone for ages. This long farewell I feel however is synonymous with many other departures of loved ones, and with the pack on his back it looks a little like he's off to war. I suppose a lot of different interpretations can be read into this one image and although they look happy the title I feel anchors a slight feeling of sadness and maybe even foreboding. All goodbye's are hard and I will always remember my dad leaving as it was the longest time he'd ever been away from us. This portrait for me captures a moment for all of us that would otherwise be lost in time, and once immortalized in glass it could well outlive the people it is of.

Summer Winds

Two layers of fused glass, coloured with frit and sandblasted.

Circle Circle

6mm slumped glass with sandblasting

No comments:

Post a Comment